Libraries Unlimited Head of Service Delivery appointed to SCL BoardPosted on 22 Mar 2018
Joanne Launder, the Head of Service Delivery at Libraries Unlimited has been appointed to the Board of trustees of the Society of Chief Librarians (SCL).
Joanne’s appointment to the Board of Trustees comes as SCL adopts charitable status and begins to move into its role as an Arts Council England funded Sector Support Organisation.
She joins a range of professionals including heads of public library services from across the UK and representatives from public services and the arts. The new trustees bring a wealth of talent and experience to the organisation at this exciting stage of its development.
Joanne has been a qualified librarian for almost 20 years working in a range of roles in both London and Devon, and has been Head of Service Delivery at Libraries Unlimited for the past two years, responsible for the day to day delivery and development of frontline services for over 50 static libraries, 4 mobile and 3 prison libraries with over 300 staff.
Joanne said: “I am very excited to be joining SCL’s Board of trustees. It’s clear that the charity is at an important turning point, as it takes a stronger and defined leadership role for the sector to help shape the future development and support for public library services in the UK. I am looking forward to bringing my experience of both public and academic libraries to the Board, as well as my leadership and cultural experience and expertise gained through my position within the senior management team here at Libraries Unlimited.”
The charity believes modern public libraries should be the cornerstone of the community and should deliver a diverse spectrum of local needs around information, learning, literacy, employment and digital skills, health, culture and leisure.
Neil MacInnes, SCL President: “I would like to warmly welcome all the new members of the Board; I am so pleased that we have gathered such an exceptional group of people to help lead our new organisation. My thanks go to all of our new trustees who are volunteering their valuable time to help develop and support public libraries in the UK and I look forward to working closely with you all.”
The full Board is as follows:
- Neil MacInnes, President of SCL and Strategic Lead for Libraries, Galleries and Culture in Manchester
- Mark Freeman, President Elect of SCL and Libraries and Information Service Manager in Stockton-on-Tees
- Martin Burton, Community Cultural Services Manager, South Gloucestershire Council
- Tony Durcan OBE, Assistant Director Transformation, Newcastle City Council
- Jane Ellison, Head of Creative Partnerships at the BBC
- Julie Griffiths, Library Strategy and Development Manager in Halton and SCL Learning Offer lead
- Ayub Khan MBE, Head of Face to Face Services for Warwickshire, President of CILIP and SCL Digital Offer lead
- Ilona Kish, Programme Director, Public Libraries 2020 at The Reading and Writing Foundation
- Joanne Launder, Head of Service Delivery for Libraries Unlimited
- Sarah Mears, Essex Library Services Manager and SCL Culture Offer lead
- Vera Owen, Lawyer and Civil Servant
- Carol Stump, Chief Librarian in Kirklees
- Liz White, Head of Strategy Development at the British Library
The new Board will formally begin their roles next month, with the new Chief Executive, Isobel Hunter, taking up her post on 23 April. Find out more about SCL here.