As part of the UP project, we are planning a range of unique and unexpected events and activities across North Devon and Torridge, designed to help people to discover how libraries can change lives.
Drag Queen Story Time! It’s back! Saturday 24th March 2018, Exeter Library
Drag Queen Story Time is coming to Exeter Library!
This exciting performance aims to capture the imagination and fun of childhood, whilst providing an entertaining and inclusive story time with positive and glamorous role models.
Free tickets are available to book now! Please remember to book a place for each individual person attending, including babes in arms.
Nature Tales, family friendly, interactive fun – linking libraries with the great outdoors.
21st March 2018, Torrington Library
Devon Libraries is working in collaboration with North Devon Biosphere, Beaford Arts and Entertainingly Different to offer story time with a twist. The interactive story time has been created with pre-school families in mind. Children and accompanying adults will follow a story walk and discover clues in the beautiful landscape, before heading to the library for snacks, natural crafts and entertainment with a mix of stories, songs and puppets.
These events will take place both in the library and outdoors and it is important to dress appropriately for the weather. Each child will receive a free good bag at the end of the event.
These events are made possible through support from Unlimited Potential, Arts Council England and in partnership with Beaford Arts and the North Devon Biosphere team.
This is a FREE event, please click on the location below to register:
Torrington Library 21st March 2018 10am – 12pm
Tangible Memories – Make a Book, every Thursday until 29th March 2018, Barnstaple Library
This innovative project brings young and older people together in libraries to create interactive memory books. Over several sessions, each pair creates a book based on the older person’s life, using the Tangible Memories app.
The app allows you to record stories that are meaningful to you and your loved ones create beautiful bespoke books and listen back to your recordings directly from the pages.
Barnstaple Library, 25th January 3pm -5pm (this project will then run weekly until the 29th March.)
To find out more information, please firstname.lastname@example.org
Boogie Books! – every Friday (term time) until 30th March 2018, Ilfracombe Library
Ilfracombe Library invites members of the public to explore the exciting world of stories through music, movement and dance. This weekly event is suitable for under 5s with accompanying parent/ guardian. There’s no need to book this event, just turn up!
Ilfracombe Library, every Friday throughout the term time, 10am – 10.45am. Say it, sing it, shake it with Boogie Books!
We kindly ask attendees for a £1 donation for the session.
- Barnstaple Library: Women Work & Gin. Thursday 8th March, saw like minded individuals join together to celebrate International Women’s Day and enjoy an insightful talk from the CEO of North Devon Against Domestic Abuse (NDADA).
- Barnstaple Library: FabLab launch. The launch of Devon’s second FabLab saw families take part in exciting activities such as recreating the Barnstaple Library elephant, 3D printing, laser cutting and making music with bananas using Makey Makey kits.
- Ilfracombe Library: Cities of the Imagination. This special workshop with our mobile FabLab allowed people to get hands-on with computer graphics, 3D printing, and other high and low-tech media to design their own imaginary cities.
- Bideford and Barnstaple Library: Drag Queen Story Time. This exciting performance aims to capture the imagination and fun of childhood, whilst providing an entertaining and inclusive story time with positive and glamorous role models.
- Northam Library: Northam Life Stories. Local author Liz Shakespeare ran creative workshops in November and December 2017 to inspire writers to create a piece to be featured in ‘Northam Life Stories’ exhibition. Participants were invited to share their own memories of everyday life and the connections they had and still have with the buildings in and around Northam.
- Barnstaple Library: Twisted Tales with The Last Baguette theatre company. This whirlwind of theatre workshops for children and young people, explored and exploded fairy stories to create a twist and tangle to traditional tales.
- Bideford, Ilfracombe and Barnstaple Library: The Little Match Girl theatre performance, this touching, madcap and heart-warming Christmas show, from The Last Baguette Theatre company used visual story telling, live music and puppetry to shine a light on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic winter tale.
- Northam Library: Teenaiders interactive workshop with FabLab Devon, Seize the Moment and Morwenna Youth Group. The day involved a first aid course for teenagers aged 13-16, alongside a creative video workshop.
- Barnstaple Library: Start-up Day. Barnstaple Library held a range of events with high-profile industry experts, designed to support young businesses, entrepreneurs and Start-ups in getting their business off the ground.
- Ilfracombe, Bideford, South Molton and Barnstaple Libraries: Laughter Yoga with the Laughter Well. The sessions uniquely combined laughter exercises with ancient Yoga breathing techniques in a way that was accessible and fun. The sessions included laughter exercises and gentle yoga breathing to improve mental, physical, emotional and social wellbeing.
- Bideford Library: Stencilling workshop with Street Artist 7th Pencil. The day involved learning new skills in stencilling, creating designs to be displayed in the library and visiting the Burton Art Gallery.
- Burton Art Gallery, Bideford: 3D and 2D design and print workshops with FabLab Devon. A blast of techno fun for 8-12 year olds.